Followers

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Changeable Weather and Selecting Seeds



Two mornings ago we woke up to this:

By 11 AM the same scene looked like this:


They say around here that if you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes.

This time of year I start thinking about the garden we will grow in the upcoming season.  I start browsing through seed catalogs and seed racks. I have already purchased seeds this year because I just have to. I can't resist them, even though I already have lots. I have saved seeds for years in a big Tupperware bread box. Then the box goes into our garage refrigerator to keep them cold and dark. 


I have already planted these seeds in my unheated greenhouse. The onion is called Cortland and is supposed to be a very long keeper. I have not grown this one before. The onion down below is a Cipriani type called Berretta.  I have grown it and I love it. Such a good flavor! That's Tom Thumb lettuce and I have seeded it. All are in small divided plastic containers using a seedling mix. Then, I saved seeds of Little Marvel Peas and planted those as well. Now I have the beginnings of an early spring garden.

I discovered something this winter. Marjorum seems to like winter better than summer. In summer it continually puts up little blossom heads that make it hard to harvest. In winter the leaves are large and bushy with no flower heads. Parsley, of course, always likes our winters. The garlic I planted last Oct. is coming along nicely.




I have read that fresh vegetables are going to be very pricey now. So, I plan to double my efforts to grow a good garden this year. I have had nice gardens in the past but I am guilty of slowing down the watering program in mid-summer because I tire of the chore. So, with the purchase of some new garden mats and a new drip tape system, it should be even better this year. 

This is how it looked the day we had snow.

Sad

See you next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment