Followers

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Easy Peasy Roasted Tomato Sauce

OR....How to use up all those ripening tomatoes quick as a bunny.


I love the flavor of this quick and easy homemade tomato sauce. No canning....just freezing.
I have taken photos of the process with my trusty digital camera, here goes.
You will need a flat pan. A heavy cookie sheet will do. I use the bottom of my broiler pan. Who broils anymore anyway?
You also need a Foley Food Mill. I use the attachment on my trusty and very old Kitchen Aide mixer.
Here is the 1st photo showing a bowl of cut up tomatoes. I cut large ones into approx. 8 pieces, medium ones into 4ths, small ones in half and just throw in the cherry tomatoes. Yes, you can use them as well.
Cut as many garlic cloves as you would like. No need to peel. Just cut them in halves or 4ths. Fresh is best because they are juicier. I used 4 in mine.
When this mixture is in the bowl, drizzle on 1 to 2 Tablespoons of a good olive oil.
Add oregano, basil, or whatever Italian spice you like.
Some salt and pepper
I alway add a tablespoon or so of sugar. I like a sweetener in my sauces.
The beauty of this is that you can add whatever you want to make it your own. Some people even like a carrot in their sauce. Cut one up and try it. Peppers, too, hot or not.


Oh...I forgot to say---
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Pour them into your pan
and slide them into the oven.
This is what they should look like after 30 mins. Stir them up and slide them back into the oven for another 30 mins.
Here is the pan full after 25 mins and I should have left them another 5 or ten minutes, but close enough. The skins should be starting to blacken a bit more than this photo.
Let them cool now until you can touch the pan without the burn. Or longer. The other day I went to town and finished when I got home. They were stone cold.
Now comes the separation of skin and seeds. 




Whir them down, way down, until there is hardly anything left but skin and seeds.

Take a look at your sauce now.


Then pour the sauce into freezer containers for safe keeping. You can pull them out and easily defrost them for those quick spaghetti meals. I usually use one of mine and one can of store bought sauce. Still really good. If you make homemade pizza, be sure to try this sauce.. Oh...and be sure to leave a bit of headroom in the freezer container. 



Tomatoes......Gone. At least for a few days. 
I hope you will try this way of making tomato sauce. I think your family will love it. 

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Sue! I have a newer KitchenAid, but I use a different attachment for my tomatoes.

    Happy end of summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Sue! I make roasted tomatoes, too, but add some fennel seeds and use basil leaves from the garden. And then, once they're roasted, I just mash them and bottle them, seeds and all, for chunky tomato sauce to put over pasta. This year has been great for tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great for tomatoes except at the very end when the rain brought late blight.
      My last batch was made the way you make it.
      Thanks for the nice comment.

      Delete